Monday, October 5, 2009

Cellphones

I've had a cellphone since grade 9 (and I was on a family plan, and the phone was rarely used. This was before the massive outburst of text messaging, so the phone was 'for emergencies only'.) I was with telus until recently, when I decided to branch out on my own and get my own account. I did my research (because, I'll fully admit it, I'm cheap and want to pay the least amount possible.) So telus in all its infinite glory wanted me to put a deposit of $1000 down because I was only 19 and didn't have credit. To which I replied 'are you fucking kidding me?.' I don't just walk around with a grand in my pocket waiting to put it down as a deposit for a cellphone. A cellphone! Not like it's a deposit on a car or something that actually justifies the amount. Therefore, I pretty much said peace-out to Telus and started searching other places to see which place would ask for the smallest deposit from me. Then, I stumbled upon Bell. They had this kick-ass plan that was like $30/month for unlimited text messaging with so many minutes and blah, blah, blah. I thought it was pretty awesome, so I decided to go with them. (Plus, the deposit was only $200. MUCH more reasonable than Telus.)

So la-tee-dah, I have a new phone and a new number and all is well with the world of Caitlyn and Bell. Then comes the beginning of August. My phone literally got a mind of its own, and decided it was necessary to do whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted. It would randomly send text messages and the scroll button was jammed in the 'down' position so I couldn't even text message because it would just scroll through all the messages and I couldn't hit 'reply' or 'read message'. I go to my nearest Bell store and tell the guy what's going on with my phone and he sends it away and says it'll be '2 weeks' until I get it back. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with this loaner phone which I refer to as the 'calculator', because it literally looked like a calculator. Who would use such a phone? Anyways. I received a call last Friday from the guy at the Bell store saying my phone was ready and was all fixed. Hallelujah! I got my lovely phone back and was quite content that I no longer had the calculator phone.

All was good with the phone until Saturday night. I was at the Back Alley to celebrate my upcoming day of birth, when I went to send a text to Briana saying how cute it was that some guy kissed my hand because it was my birthday. I pull my phone out of my bra (boobs were meant to do more than 1 thing...they also hold money, cellphones, lip gloss, etc) and I go to send a message and my phone freezes. No big deal. I take the battery out and think all will be good. However, that wasn't so. Half the buttons wouldn't work, and for some reason my phone kept wanting to dial my Dad's cell phone number. Not cool at 2 in the morning.

Sunday comes, and my phone starts getting better. Most of the buttons work and, hey, I can still text message and that's really the big thing. Then my phone decides that it doesn't want to 'sleep' and stays on, and on, and on. Meaning, my battery went from being fully charged to being completely dead in about 7 hours. Ridiculous. Plus, it still keeps wanting to call my Dad's cellphone. (Is this a sign from God that my Dad and I don't talk enough? Haha, doubt it.) So, after work on Tuesday I go back to the Bell store and tell the guy that my phone is broken. Again. And I want a new phone, because this having to send it out every week and wait 3 weeks for it to be "fixed" is crap. So I was told that I have to send it out again and wait for it to get back. Then, once it gets back I can go back to the Bell kiosk I bought it at and talk to the manager and demand a new phone. So, I have to wait 3 weeks until I can do this and by that time who knows if I'll actually give a rat's ass.

Point of the story? Bell phones suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment